Dizziness when turning head: causes, treatment
This symptom is dizziness, which is known probably to every second person. Along with a headache, it is the most common reason for seeking medical help. Usually the dizziness is no cause of fear, when appears while riding on the carousel, under sea walk, in acute respiratory disease. But when dizzy, seemingly without apparent reason, serious consideration should be given to this symptom, because it almost always indicates some kind of disease.
In order to accurately determine the cause of such a pathological symptom, it is necessary to analyze in detail the conditions under which the head is turned, also to detail other symptoms that accompany the discomfort. All this will allow the doctor to suspect the correct the disease and assign the appropriate examination to clarify the diagnosis and adequate treatment.
In this article we consider why there is a giddiness when you turn your head, what is the reason and is it dangerous for health, as well as tell you how to deal with this symptom.
Video transmission about the causes of dizziness:
The causes of dizziness when turning head
There are 2 major causes of dizziness when turning the head.
Vertebral artery syndrome
The first thing that should come to mind when a person complains of dizziness when turning head – a disease of the cervical spine (
Symptoms of vertebral artery syndrome
Suspect vertigo, which is caused by this disorder by the following criteria:
- the whirling of the head, which occurs paroxysmal when turning the head;
Symptoms of benign positional vertigo
Suspect DPPG help for the following symptoms:
- dizziness when moving head, most often it appears in the prone position when turning to the right or left side, also can feel dizzy when tilting;
- usually the attack begins in the morning when a person wakes up and begins to turn in bed;
- the paroxysm continues for a long time (up to 1 minute) and easy to pass;
- also dizziness may be accompanied by nausea and vomiting.
How to establish the diagnosis?
To confirm the diagnosis associated with the pathology of the vertebral artery help for the following tests:
- radiography of the spinal column;
Principles of treatment
Treatment of vertebral artery syndrome is a very serious problem. Methods of treatment depend on the cause of the disease. In the case of pathological disorders in the structure of the artery, treatment can be only surgical. When vertebrogenic vertigo treatment program is comprehensive and includes:
- drug therapy(anti-inflammatory, nootropic, anti-edematous, tools that release muscle tension, vasoactive drugs);
- massage and manual therapy;
- physiotherapy techniques;
- surgical treatment, for example, removal of a herniated disc.
Video transmission on DPPG:
Treatment DPPG mostly non-pharmacological. For this there are special exercises the Dix-Hallpike and Brandt-Daroff. Can also be used symptomatic medications from vertigo, for example, betahistin to 48 mg per day in 2-3 doses, if the attacks are accompanied by nausea, can you use reglan, domperidone, metoclopramide.