First aid for epilepsy what to do in case of seizure?
Epilepsy – a disease severe, but widespread. According to statistics, it affects about 1% of people in all countries, regardless of the quality of life. Therefore, the probability, even without suffering these diseases, to witness a seizure, is quite high. And at this point it is important not to get lost, and be able to provide competent assistance.
First aid for epileptic seizure
A typical attack of epilepsy as follows: a person falls, the muscles tense and start jerking limbs. Eyes glazed, closed, or rolled. Breathing convulsive, intermittent, maybe one or two minutes to stop. The first phase lasts 3-5 minutes, rarely more. In the second phase, all the muscles relax, possibly involuntary urination. This phase lasts for 5-10 minutes, then the person gradually regains consciousness.
If you witness such an attack of epilepsy, the most important at this moment is to stay calm. In most cases, they do not bear direct threat to health and human life, the main thing – to exclude some of the risk factors:
- If possible, you should soften the fall of man.
- It is desirable to remove the objects with which a person can inadvertently be injured during an attack: hot, hard objects, sharp and so on.
- You need to look at the clock to note the time of the beginning of the seizure.
- Whenever possible it is desirable to immobilize the head or to enclose under it something soft. You can put it on your lap and gently hold or put under it rolled with a roller sweater, jacket, coat.
- If the attack is accompanied by profuse salivation, the head, it is desirable to turn to the side that the person will not choke on saliva.
- If during an attack the teeth are not closed, between them you can put a handkerchief or other cloth to avoid damage to your teeth.
- When the seizures ended, but the man has not yet regained consciousness, should keep him, not to give up and walk.
- While he is unconscious, turn head to side to exclude involuntary retraction of the tongue root, as well as eliminate the possibility to choke on saliva or vomit in case of vomiting.
- After people began to come to, to ask him a few questions to make sure that he is awake: his name, what day of the week, month, year.
- If a person you do not know, look, whether he has a medical alert bracelet or other identification mark indicating the diagnosis and phone numbers of people you can call in an emergency.
First aid for epileptic seizure allows to eliminate possible risks. Seizure, though it looks terrible, immediate threat to lifeman is not responsible. The biggest danger is head injuries when hitting the ground or nearby solid objects.
What not to do when a fit of epilepsy
During the attack of epilepsy is not so important to do the correct actions, how to not do wrong:
- You can not try to unclench your teeth of a person during a seizure. As this can damage the enamel or mucosa of the oral cavity. No practical benefit is: during the convulsive phase, all the muscles, including the responsible for language tense, like he can't. During the second phase is enough to turn his head to the side.
- You can not force to keep a person during an attack. He feels no pain and may accidentally damage the muscle or ligament. Enough to hold the head or put it under something soft.
- Do not carry or move the person during a seizure. This may be the cause of the injury. The exception is when the place is a threat to life: the edge of the cliff, the roadway, water.
- Do not attempt to drink human during an attack, give him some medicine.
- You can't beat the face, to scream, to bother trying to revive.
- You cannot do artificial respiration or indirect heart massage.
These mistakes often make casual witnesses of epileptic seizures.
Do I need to call an ambulance during an attack of epilepsy
Often bystanders attack of epilepsy begin to call an ambulance, whereas it is optional. A seizure, if he is not the first time immediate threat to human life. Most likely, it will end before you see the ambulance, and the call could hinder the team in time to arrive at another more critical case.
But still, in some cases medical help is required:
- If the attack happened for the first time.
- If there is a possibility that this is not an epileptic seizure.
- If the patient has high temperature.
- If the patient during a seizure and hit his head.
- If the seizure lasts more than 5-7 minutes.
- If after the convulsions he does not regain consciousness within half an hour.
- If within one hour after the first started the second attack.
- If the attack happened at the child or pregnant woman.
- If the patient has difficulty breathing.
In such cases, there is a threat to human life, and therefore need qualified medical assistance. And if first aid for epilepsy may be provided on the spot, in addition requires a professional survey.
Reminder for patients with epilepsy
People with epilepsy must remember that the attack can happen suddenly. It is therefore necessary to take all possible measuresprecaution.
- Family, friends, relatives, someone from the colleagues at work should know about the disease and to have an idea how to provide first aid during an attack of epilepsy.
- It is necessary to have information about their disease, as well as the phone close to someone to call in case of an attack. They are best to put on a medical alert bracelet or pendant.
- While there is probability of an attack, can't drive, work in the professions related to potential risk (height, open flame, electric current), to do some sports.
It is important to understand that the person suffering from epilepsy can lead a normal life, work, study and travel, with only minor restrictions.