Memory loss after stroke
After suffering a stroke, regardless of its type in humans is almost always remain consequences in the form of neurological deficit. It can be full or partial paralysis, disturbance of sensation, vision, speech, etc. memory Loss after stroke is especially hard transferred by the patient and his family, because it frequently happens that the man cannot remember who he is, what kind of people surround him. And sometimes there are more severe mental disorders, for example, when disturbed function long term memory and the patient can remember the period of time of a few seconds-minutes and no more.
Each such problem separately is a heavy burden, both for the victim and his relatives. Therefore it is necessary to exert maximum efforts in order to regain lost function
The concept of human memory
Memory is a psychological process, one of the properties of the human brain, which is the ability to commit some time to save, and if you want to play inorganic number of times the desired information. The memory also includes forgetting, which protects the brain from unnecessary information.
The process of remembering is associated with the formation of new neural connections, playback – with their activation, and forgetting – destruction. Memory does not have any one particular localization in the brain. The mental network of neurons distributed throughout the brain. For example, behavioral responses, intuition, the skills and habits meets the limbic system of the brain, genetic memory – calamoceratidae complex, and everything to do with deliberately arbitrary activity of the person is stored in different areas of the cerebral cortex. The most important center, which is responsible for verbal-logical memory are the frontal lobes of the brain. Hippocampus is responsible for long-term memory.
Possible violations after a stroke
After suffering a stroke can occur, as violations of individual memory processes (remembering new information or reproduction necessary), and the development of its pathological types.
Often there are difficulties of the process of remembering or reproducing information. For example, a person difficult to remember a new phone number, and sometimes the algorithm is simple, for example, to brew coffee. It is often possible to observe the difficulties of verbal reproduction (the patient cannot recall the names of kin, the names of the surrounding objects, familiar stories). There may also be violations of the visual reproduction, when the person does not know the persons relatives, familiar objects.
Among the pathological types of memory may occur:
- amnesia is a serious violation,which completely loses memories for events before the illness (retrograde) or those that occurred after stroke (antegrade);
- hypomnesia – memory loss, most often seen in vascular lesions of the brain
Methods of memory retrieval
The possibility of restoration of the violated memory fully depends on the type , its size, location, adequate treatment of disorders of cerebral circulation, timely rehabilitation and determination and willingness of the patient. The sooner you begin recovery, the better the prognosis. In some cases, over time, fully recover the memory of man, but often it is not possible to do, although persistent sessions can be much to improve mental function of the brain.
Major activities to restore memory after a stroke:
- Regular repetition of new and old information with relatives and yourself. This should be done gradually, just do not give a large amount of information.
- Memory training by using associative thinking and visual images. For example, ask the person to describe in detail the seen image. As a rule, in the brain aktiviziruyutsya associative connections, and one recalls some of the events.
- You must tell the patient in detail about his life, habits, family, Hobbies, driving in familiar places – all this will help you remember.
- It is important that after a stroke, was in a familiar environment where everything is familiar.
- You need to learn by heart poems, songs, phone numbers, etc.
- Special exercises for memory training.
- Various games that are related to memory processes, for example, in the city or names.
- Excellent fit and crossword.
Training videos on how to improve memory: