Features of massage for stroke
Stroke is one of the most serious diseases with which the person can face. Violation of brain activity entails numerous and diverse consequences.
Despite this, the patient's condition after a stroke can be improved. This is a complicated scheme of rehabilitation, which includes a variety of directions, including and massage.
Giving massage for stroke?
Generally, patients who have had a stroke, much worse physical condition. Frequent paralysis of the limbs, reduced joint mobility, paresis, impaired coordination. In severe forms, when people are forced to comply with prolonged bed rest, often develop ulcers, pneumonia, congestive, muscles atrophy.
Against these complications developed many methods of struggle, but the massage occupies a special position. It can be used to achieve:
- Pain and muscle spasm.
- Normalizing tone: elimination of rigidity and dullness.
- Improving blood supply to the tissues.
- Normalization of outflow of lymph.
- Improvement of mobility of joints.
- Prevention of congestive pneumonia, venous ulcers, contractures (stiffness of muscle spasm).
The most significant benefit of massage is no side effects. It is possible and desirable to start from the first days after the attack. This can significantly reduce the probability of a remote and secondary consequences.
Who should do the massage after a stroke?
It is important to understand that massage in this case is an important medical procedure and not a method of relaxation. It must appoint and conduct a recreation therapist or a qualified therapist. Without certain knowledge and skills massage can be, in the best case, just ineffective.
The education and qualification of specialists allows to determine the condition of the patient and to choose the most optimal scheme of massage.
Massage is not only treatment, but diagnostic. At each session, the doctor notes the state change, the emerging trends, response. He drew particular attention to muscle tone, movements of connectedness, mobility, presence of hypertonicity of certain muscles, atrophy, pain. In accordance with these data, he changes the time and intensity of the massage, starting with a short and gentle treatments.
But the role of massage in rehabilitation after a stroke is not confined to physical impacts. It can improve the psychological state of the patient undergoing it. Emotional communication by touch of a close person is an important part of rehabilitation after stroke.
But in order to carry out such procedures on their own, not havingskills, experience and education, you should consult with a physiotherapist or masseur. They will tell you the techniques and methods of massage after a stroke.
How to massage after a stroke?
At the same time medical massage to restore joint mobility and improve the condition of muscles, you can do it at home. But you need to remember a few guidelines:
- Massage can not be done within 2 hours after a meal.
- The nails on the hands the person performing the massage should be close-cropped, so as not to scratch.
- For massage it is desirable that the muscles were relaxed and warmed up. So it is good to do after taking a shower or bath.
- To mitigate the friction, you can use light cream.
- Massage movements should be soft, light and slow.
- Best suited to the pats, a weak pressing, kneading of muscles, vibration.
- Properly performed massage does not have to cause discomfort. The appearance of pain during or after it – it is a sign of too intensive massage.
- After the massage should be at least half an hour to lie down and rest.
- The duration and intensity of the session should be increased gradually: from 15-20 minutes to an hour.
- All movements of the arms should coincide with the direction of flow of lymph from the extremities to the belly button. The back need to massage from the shoulders to the loins, from the sides to the spine.
- During massage you have to handle the muscles in this order: front of the thigh, leg, foot, chest muscles, shoulder, forearm, hand, hamstring, calf, foot, back muscles.
In addition to the dynamic massage there are other methods, including static. It is not recommended to carry out independently. It can be painful and unpleasant, but allows you to restore the normal mobility and muscle tone.
To do this, suffered from paralysis or paresis of the limbs are placed and fixed in a certain position, each time for a longer period. This allows you to stretch the muscles and joints, restoring their mobility.
The use of courses of massage therapy in stroke has demonstrated its safety, efficacy and the need, therefore, it is mandatory included in the rehabilitation program.